About The Song
“In Dreams” is a hauntingly beautiful ballad by Roy Orbison, released in 1963. Known for its emotional depth and Orbison’s distinctive vocal range, the song has become a classic in the rock and roll and pop genres.
Five facts about “In Dreams”:
- Orbison’s Songwriting and Vocals: Roy Orbison not only performed “In Dreams” but also wrote the song. His powerful and operatic tenor voice, combined with the emotional sincerity of his delivery, makes the track a standout in his discography.
- Unconventional Structure: The song is notable for its unconventional structure. It lacks a traditional chorus and features multiple key changes, adding to its dreamlike and ethereal quality. Orbison’s ability to experiment with song structure showcased his innovative approach to music.
- Use in Films: “In Dreams” gained renewed popularity when it was prominently featured in David Lynch’s film “Blue Velvet” (1986). The juxtaposition of the song’s melancholy tone with the film’s intense and dark scenes created a memorable cinematic moment.
- Chart Performance: While “In Dreams” did not reach the same commercial heights as some of Orbison’s other hits, it still performed well, reaching No. 7 on the UK Singles Chart and No. 50 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.
- Orbison’s Influential Career: Roy Orbison, often referred to as the “Caruso of Rock,” had a profound impact on the rock and roll genre. His emotive ballads, including “In Dreams,” contributed to his legacy as one of the most influential and distinctive voices in the history of popular music.
A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
“Go to sleep. Everything is all right.”
I close my eyes, Then I drift away
Into the magic night. I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do.
Then I fall asleep to dream My dreams of you.
In dreams I walk with you. In dreams I talk to you.
In dreams you’re mine. All of the time we’re together
In dreams, In dreams.
But just before the dawn, I awake and find you gone.
I can’t help it, I can’t help it, if I cry.
I remember that you said goodbye.
It’s too bad that all these things, Can only happen in my dreams
Only in dreams In beautiful dreams.